ad free

My heart longs for good scripts like Payanam: Nagarjuna

It’s been quite some time since I worked in Chennai. I have lost touch with the beautiful Tamil language. Kindly excuse me for speaking in English,” remarked Tollywood superstar Nagarjuna at the launch-cum-trailer of his upcoming bilingual, Payanam, in Tamil and Gaganam in Telugu.
The movie is produced by Prakash Raj’s new banner, Silent Movies and directed by Radha Mohan. When asked for the secret behind his still-youthful looks despite being in the industry for 25 years, the actor said, “I really don’t know. I haven’t done any plastic surgery or stuff like that. Maybe I have inherited this from my dad Nageswara Rao. Of course, I have been working hard and consistently for it!”

He heaped praise on Prakash Raj. “I loved Prakash’s Aakasamantha (Telugu version of Abhiyum Naanum), it was a well-made film. When initially I was approached for the Abhiyum …remake, I joked, ‘I’ll do any role provided I don’t have to play Trisha’s father!’ Now, when Radha came up with this extraordinary script, I gladly said yes. My heart longs for such scripts.”

He added, “I am only part of the film and not the whole and soul. This gives me relief, unlike in Tollywood where I have to shoulder the entire responsibility of a film. I am happy being a part of good cinema. I got the same feeling when I did Mani Ratnam’s Idhayatthai Thirudathey two decades back.”

Will we get to see more of him in Tamil in future? “I would love to do Tamil films if I get good scripts. But I am very comfortable doing Telugu films. My native language is Telugu and my family lives there. If I keep doing many Tamil films, I will have to shift base here, which won’t work out!” the actor asserted.

The film is set at Tirupathi airport and a giant set which cost three crores was erected in Ramoji Film city at Hyderabad, designed by art director Kathir.

Cinematographer K.V. Kuhan has shot the entire movie on a Red One camera.

Though there are no songs, Praveen Mani has scored the background music and the title theme song has been written by Madhan Karki.

The film features 45 artistes including Prakash Raj, Sana Khan, Manobala, M.S. Bhaskar, Rishi, Badava Gopi, who were present on the occasion.